19 March 2011

Tests, clay and glazes

As anyone working in clay knows we need to test our materials whenever we use something new.  I am using a new clay and 3 new commercial glazes.  Recently I tested them in a small electric test kiln fired to Cone 10.  Mixed results.

I expected this one to have more blue and more shine.

This copper based glaze is about what I was hoping for.

This is porcelain and not as white as I had hoped.

This one is called Hyacinth Blue.  The teabag holder had some green underglaze so that is OK.  The test dish looks promising.

2 comments:

Linda Starr said...

In some of my cone 6 electric tests I found the firing schedule and which kiln is used changes the glazes to something completely different. When I first moved here I had someone fire my work in their kiln and it was completely different than when someone else fired it in California or I fired it here. Then I tried different clays with the same glazes and more unique results, there are so many variables in clay and glazes. The clear looks like a good melt gave an antique look to the clay.

Anna said...

You are so right. Even firing on a different shelf can result in a variation. Thanks for the comment on the clear. It will help me to adjust my expectations on having a crisp white. I won several bags of this porcelain and will need to use it up.