11 October 2015

a dark firing

 Not a full pack but this is my glaze firing after bisque and before turning the kiln on...

















Then I fired up using the firing schedule that came with the kiln and it really is firing too high... that second cone on the right should be more upright..  some adjustment needed for next time...


I was a little disappointed with some pieces but generally it was all OK though it looks quite dark.. I realised that it is for two reasons, I've used a darker clay for some works and have some black decoration on others...


I'm very pleased with this little jug and will be keeping this one for the Christmas gravy!

Spring has been here for a month now and my nasturtiums have gone wild! They are out of the pot and up the back fence.. I love their bright colours.

Time to start on the next firing...  I have a little Christmas theme happening that I hope will be popular...


And another pig sculpture underway...

Thanks for dropping by.. perhaps I'll catch you on Facebook :^)

5 comments:

Linda Starr said...

sweet pitcher; my kiln fires too hot as well and I adjusted my program to accommodate; it takes a while to get these kilns sorted out. Before I had a kiln of my own I was told every kiln is different and wondered why and now I know that's true even two of the same model.

Anna said...

Hi Linda
I do appreciate your comments so often on my posts. Funny how English in different countries is used differently with you saying pitcher and us saying jug. Yes, it is taking me a while to have the confidence to adjust my kiln firings to suit the actual as against the theory! I'll get there :^)

Peter said...

How lovely to see the nasturtiums growing with such enthusiasm (I like their colour and taste in salads!). I imagine that your garden in Australia is probably about 2 months ahead of our one that is so far South in NZ. It is fun to see the flowers waking up after winter. I think that we are lucky to be able to fire kilns with such precision, although it is surprising just how much the temperature can vary between the top and bottom of an electric kiln. My top loading electric kilns fire about a cone lower in the bottom compared with half way up where the pyrometer probe takes the temperature. I do find that the number of pots that are in the kiln, and how many kiln shelves I use makes a huge difference on how fast the kiln will heat up.... and that has a big effect on the temperature that cones go over. Cone 10 went over a full 10 degrees C lower in temperature in a firing I did today, because the firing was slower. I wonder if the load and speed of firing has anything to do with your "hot" firings?

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

Hi Peter thanks for taking the time to comment. Yes I do think the load may have something to do with the difference in this firing. I need to get some more higher rated cones to see what happens next time. Still, no losses so all good :)
I imagine our gardens are ahead in blooming compared to yours further south. I have a little gingko tree in a pot and it is slowly getting new leaves. We rarely get any frosts where we are so the nasturtiums have been green but no flowers through winter. I'm planning on trying some in a salad this summer.