11 March 2017

Stilts and rollers

Recently I was given some stilts... these are used by potters to support ware inside the kiln, usually for earthenware glazed pots...

Now I don't usually fire to earthenware temperatures so when I was thinking about how to fire some pieces for my exhibition I wondered if these would fire to a higher temperature...
I posted on the Facebook group, "Help for Australian Potters - Tips and Advice" 
the responses are quite helpful but varied so as with most things in pottery I will be doing a test with them first...





The next part of my exhibition work will be built with slabs and I don't have a slab roller nor the room to store one so I'll be using the old method of a rolling pin and wooden guides...

To roll out wider slabs I need a long rolling pin...

Sometimes they turn up in Op Shops but you have to be there at the right time...

so when I was passing by a local commercial cookery supplier yesterday I took a look and found just what I needed!

This one is about 40cm long and only cost $19... I am all set now!



Thanks for dropping by... I also have an Instagram account : @potterybyanna and a Facebook page:
Anna's Ceramics 

See ya !  :)



6 comments:

Linda Starr said...

I ordered an aluminum 18 inch roller on Amazon and I love it, much better than a wood one because the clay doesn't get embedded in the wood grain - https://www.amazon.com/Winware-18-Inch-Aluminum-Rolling-Pins/dp/B001CI8X2Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489219637&sr=8-2&keywords=18+rolling+pin.

Anna said...

Hi Linda
that does surprise me, I would have thought the clay would stick to the metal... we learn something every day

smartcat said...

I've never heard of firing earthenware (terra cotta) on stilts as a matter of course. My low fire glazes are so stable they don't move at all, which can be an advantage or a disadvantage!
Although I have a slab r older I also use rolling pins. My favorite is the wooden roller from a very old defunct push mower given to me by my advisor when I was doing one of my university incarnations.
I'm always curious to see new work so don't forget to post results. (I am sooooo guilty of forgetting!)

Anna said...

Hi Smartcat From what I understand the stilts are so that low fire glazed works can be glazed all over including the base. The stilts are knocked off after firing and the small area where the point of the stilt touched is smoothed off. I won't be posting pics of my sculptures until the exhibition is on and then you will be inundated!! :)

gz said...

Op shops are a goldmine for tools!

Anna said...

they can be gz but I was happy with this one from the cookery supplier. at least being new there are no dents in the timber :>)