07 June 2015

Teapots underway

It is the Queen's Birthday holiday weekend here in Sydney NSW...
Many people will be starting their holiday in the Snowy Mountains (about 380 Km away) where there have been early snow falls.
Perisher Valley Snow Resort

For me it means some time in the studio

Wheel thrown teapot parts

I have started throwing teapots..  I am using a relatively new clay called Ironstone which is, as the name suggests, high in iron oxide but unlike terracotta clay, this one will fire to high stoneware temperatures.

The Sydney Teapot Show has some interesting sections this year and I'm hoping for a rustic look..
___________________

Well known ceramic artist, Vipoo Svirilasa is calling for contributions to a large installation he is putting in place at the Shepparton Art Museum soon.  I've sent off a few seconds for him to use along with the plastic and other cast-offs the art will include...



So, teapots on the work list for the foreseeable future but also meet ups with other potters in the coming week, so do call by again soon..

6 comments:

Linda Starr said...

I look forward to seeing your teapots glazed with that new clay you're using.

Anna said...

Hi Linda.. me too :) can I get the look I am aiming for?

Midori said...

In Japan they use high iron stoneware clay and often reduction fired them. I love the warm colours! Looking forward to seeing your new teapots! : )

Anna said...

Hi Midori
I am looking for a warm colour rather than a stark white of my normal clay and not a reduction firing so I hope I still get that warmer colour.. Japanese pots are wonderful... all that history shines through :)

Therese said...

Should be interesting how the new clay you are using turns out! Looking forward to the end result.

Anna said...

thanks Therese, I am hoping it shows a bit more colour than the Buff stoneware, K5.