14 October 2016

a slight surprise

 When my bisque firing cooled and I opened it up I had a surprise

This tissue print design appeared black when first applied but once fired you can see it is blue...
Not what I was aiming for but I will go ahead and glaze it...

There are a couple of these with matching side plates..

We have a grass tree in our front garden and the spring rains have encouraged a flower which the honey bees are loving...

Watch this space for glaze firing results soon (all being well)

9 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

It sounds as if every firing brings surprises. Some good, some less so.
I really like that pattern. Good luck at the next stage.

Linda Starr said...

wow, that grass tree is amazingly beautiful

Anna M. Branner said...

Maybe at the glaze temperature it will go black? Post results!

Anna said...

Hi EC yes that is the thing that keeps me going... the continuing possibilities..

Anna said...

Hi Linda... it is a survivor too as a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo ate the top of it before the flower buds blossomed but it kept going grew fatter and here it is... only the second time it has flowered as the weather conditions have to right so it doesn't flower every year.

Anna said...

Hi Anna M Branner... no I don't think so... this one must be a cobalt oxide base whereas to get black there would be manganese I think.

Anna said...

oh and Anna M Branner, I will post pics.. should be firing tomorrow :)

Midori said...

So lovely to see a traditional Japanese pattern on your pot, Anna. I am jealous that a cocaktoo came to your garden tpo eat your tree! Honestly! :D

Anna said...

Hi Midori
It is a lovely pattern and yes I sometimes use Japanese tissue prints that are available from Australian pottery suppliers. The cockatoos are great to have around but can be destructive, even eating the timber on houses at times!