05 August 2012

first pot and inspirations

My friend, Adriana Christianson, posed the question, do you remember the first piece you made?

Well yes, I do, and like Suzi over at The Smart Cat I still have that funny little pot. When I first learnt to throw on the wheel back in the early 1980s,  I was living in Papua New Guinea and went along to a Co-op at the University where a clay studio had been set up to help local potters learn Western methods.  I was given a demonstration, a few balls of clay and told to 'see what you can do with that'.  Well after a few false starts this is what I managed to produce and the lovely encouraging women there even fired it for me.  It has followed around over many house moves back in Australia.
wheel thrown stoneware with 'student' glaze (left overs mixed together) reduction firing


My next 'first' was a hand building night class back in Australia in the mid '80s
handbuilt, earthenware clay, oxides and brown glaze inside pot,

I think my first interest in clay came about when I was a baby :^) when I realised someone with the same name as me had made a living from working as a studio potter.
These are collectables now though very kitch they do have a certain charm - a little ash tray (do they still make those?) by Studio Anna circa 1950s - 1960s.  The 'Aboriginal' design would also be politically incorrect now. Don't forget to check out Mud Colony and maybe say hi on one of my Facebook pages, Anna's Aussie Ceramics (Group Page) or my Artist Page - Anna's Ceramics...



6 comments:

smartcat said...

Not Bad! Isn't it odd how we keep what is important to us, without necessarily knowing its importance?

Anna said...

and here I am years later still striving :^) sometimes I think if it had come easily I would not have got back into it ;^)

Brenda said...

Great post! I'm getting worried now about sharing my first pot! Yours is quite nice as well! I really love your aboriginal bowl!

Anna said...

Hi Brenda, ah but you can't see the hole in the middle of the base, it would make a good flower pot! ha ha!
Yes those Aboriginal themed designs from that time were lovely.

Linda Starr said...

How wonderful that you have some of your first pots and love the story behind them too.

Anna said...

Hi Linda, thanks. And my mother inlaw still has some of my very first wonky bowls! Bless her :^)